The title of this painting is “Sad Mary”… this title is purposely vague to leave it up to the viewer as to which “Mary” this painting may refer to. In image 1 you can see that this painting started out as a work on paper – it is “clipped” to the easel on the left for reference for the larger painting. The first pass of the larger painting was spontaneous and only took a few minutes.
I worked quickly with large brush strokes and even let the paint that ran off her chin remain as it became more complete. In the earlier work Mary looked masculine and I gradually softened the lines and shapes to make her more feminine as I continued. The started the skin tones in black and white and added color as I went along. In the final version Mary looks noticeably sadder than the previous three. I increased the size of the inside of her hood as I went along. I ended up subduing the black shadow throughout the painting by the time I completed the final draft. I moved away from the orange color in the bottom left corner. Then, I shifted to a more yellow shade in the upper left corner in the final draft.
Funny the processes used in painting – it just happens and I have learned “when to stop” – which is an art of it’s own!